Tuesday, December 7, 2010

December 7th 2010

Yesterday after practicing I promised to write some more but I practiced for so long the next thing I knew it was almost midnight!  So, I decided to go to bed so I wouldn't fall asleep in all of my classes.  Anyways, after my practice I went over those little things over and over again, trying to perfect them as much as i could.  Recently I think I have discovered part of the answer to "What makes a quality performance?" It means knowing the music inside and out, knowing your part and knowing where it fits in with everyone else, knowing the hard parts by heart but not skimping out on the easy stuff either, knowing every change of bowing, every note, every articulation, ever time signature change, every rhythm, but while you know all of that you can also step out of the music and feel where the music fits in and feel everyone else all together, playing together, not separate parts but as a whole moving together, listening to each other. A quality performance would be a performance where each person is playing to the best of their ability and playing together. And wow that was kind of a really big sentence!  I guess I just had a lot to say.
I kind of got this epiphany I think when I was writing last night.  I was thinking how there are those little things that i know I could fix if i just practiced it a little bit more.  Also, that I shouldn't just let those little things be bad because I think no one can hear me because if everyone let a few bad things always happen we would sound like fifth graders!  Not really a quality performance.  And the epiphany grew today, in orchestra, you said something... that i totally forgot.... that was really important!... but i can't remember... it was important and totally made something click in my head about what makes a quality performance.  It was something to do with getting out of the music and listening to each other and finding where we fit in with the orchestra. And I was like "That’s it!"

No comments:

Post a Comment